WHAT EQUIPMENT DOES ONE NEED?
You are provided: buckets, shovels, and special screen boxes.
You should bring:
- Drinking water, snacks, and/or lunch
- Container for garnets (recloseable plastic bags work well)
Some items other visitors have found useful are:
- Lined, rubber gloves
- Small hammer
- Small brush
- Collapsible stool
Pets are not allowed.
Motorized equipment is not allowed in the Garnet Area.
WHAT FACILITIES ARE AVAILABLE?
At the parking lot: information sign, directions, and outhouse.
At the administrative tent: displays, assistance to permittees, and outhouse.
Forest Service personnel are available to provide: visitor information, garnet collecting instructions and assistance.
WHAT ACCOMODATIONS ARE AVAILABLE?
- Emerald Creek Campground 4 miles east of the Garnet area. Fee is $6.00 per night per unit.
- Cedar Creek Campground 3 miles north of Clarkia on HWY 3. Fee is $6.00 per night per unit.
- Clarkia Work Center Guest Bunkhouse Rental on HWY 3 in Clarkia. (call: 208-245-1134 or 208-245-2531 for rental information).
Food, gas, and other supplies are available in Clarkia (6 miles), Fernwood (12 miles), and Emida (25 miles).
Closest Laundromat is located in St. Maries.
The nearest safe drinking water is in the Emerald Creek Campground.